Friday, January 6, 2012

My iPhone



I finally got the iPhone that I've been coveting.  I've had it for almost two months and absolutely love it!  This is the first time that I've actually gotten a piece of technology while it was still new.  All my previous toys were bought after the next model was released and therefore discounted.  I guess it's the immigrant thriftiness that my parents instilled in me.  Why buy something full-priced when you can wait until it goes on sale?  Well, everyone deserves a treat once in a while.

Aside from keeping my calendar organized,  my emails accessible, and a decent camera always in my pocket, it's also made my knitting more productive!  I took a picture of a small lace chart and had it with me when I forgot to stick the pattern in my knitting bag.  I even emailed a pdf copy of a pattern to myself so I didn't have to waste paper and print it out.  Granted, the hat pattern was very short and I didn't have to refer to it too often.

There's a few knitting apps out there, but nothing really appealed to me.  I wish there was a Ravelry app.  That would be very convenient.  I do have access to Ravelry on my phone, but I have to open Safari (the web-browsing app) first and then go to Ravelry online.

So here are a few apps that I've been enjoying:

IMDB- the internet movie data-base because Hubby likes to watch movies from the middle and I hate not knowing what the heck we're watching.

Zite-Alyson showed me this one.  It's a  magazine that pulls articles from the internet from a personalized set of interests.

Facebook-it's facebook on your phone.  No explanations necessary.

Key Ring-this is the app for you if you have a wallet bulging from all the different store loyalty cards.  You can scan them all into your phone and toss those pesky cards out.

Google and Wikipedia- these are handy. Only so you don't have to open Safari first to look something up.

I haven't even mention the original reason for me wanting to get an iphone:  listening to my audiobooks!  I never have to juggle phone and ipod when I'm out and about.  I'm still listening to my ipod when I'm in the house, otherwise I run down my iphone batteries too fast.

Right now, I'm almost done listening to Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters.  Barabara Rosenblat does a great job narrating.


No comments:

Post a Comment