Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hats

I checked out a book called "Hat Heads" by Trond Afinnsen from the library and it inspired my to knit some hats.  The first hat I knit was a beret for my niece.  It was cast on and bound off while I was visiting my parents during the holidays.  I forgot to take a picture of the hat before I left it for my niece.

The next hat I knit was also a beret.  The pattern is called Urchin by Ysolda Teague and I used a discontinued Classic Elite yarn called Bravo.  It's a bulky yarn and it looks like a fluffy mohair yarn twisted with a thick rayon thread.  I was afraid that the hat might be a little itchy, but so far, no complaints from the recipient.

E's Urchin
The third hat was from the "Hat Head" book.  The book had a lot of cute patterns, but I don't know how the Knitkid (the author's alter-ego) was able to knit all those hats using a worsted weight yarn with size 4 needles! The first attempt, I used size 2 and 6 needles.  I had read some notes on Ravelry and noticed that some people had problems with the sz 1 and 4 needles the pattern called for. There's no way a toddler could have worn the hat I knit.   Maybe Norwegians have small heads?  I ended up using size 6 & 8 needles and a tubular cast-on (thank you Ysolda!) to be able to knit a hat big enough for a teenager to wear.

J's Silje

The last hat I knit is called Randi.  Since the pattern calls for bulky yarn I had to make some changes and calculations so I could use up some leftover Cascade 220 I had in my stash.


M's Randi
If I ever knit another hat from "Hat Heads", I will use the patterns only as guidelines.  Maybe my kids have extraordinarily large heads...

No comments:

Post a Comment